The Combination of Art & Traditional Talk Therapy
Creative Arts Therapy
Why consider Creative Arts Therapy? How often, when we have lost our sense of direction, do we hear our inner voice coaxing us to be still so we can “listen to our heart?” Creative arts therapy allows us to do just that without previous art experience. Creative arts therapy combines the therapeutic use of art making and creative writing within a professional relationship by people who experience illness, trauma, challenges in living, and by people who seek personal development. Through the creation of art images and reflection on the art product and transition processes, people can increase awareness of self and others, cope with symptoms of stress and traumatic experiences, enhance cognitive abilities, and simply enjoy the life-affirming pleasures of making art.
About me Teresa Knight
A Closer Look at the Curative Aspects of Creative Arts Therapy
- Art images provide an authentic mode of communication when words are difficult.
- Creating art and exploring different media techniques builds self confidence and teaches us a sense of mastery and self-discipline.
- Art making within a safe facilitative environment promotes growth and change.
- Creative arts engage all of the senses and relax the nervous system.
- Image making and creative writing answer our innate longing for connection, acknowledgement and acceptance.
- Art making in all its forms encourages us to explore, play and imagine a new story.
- Creating an image or writing a poem is empowering by virtue of experiential creative expression
- Every creative act brings to the forefront the interrelationship of psyche and soul.
I Look Forward to Hearing From You
Teresa A. Knight, MPS-AT, BA, CCC
Canadian Certified Counselor # 10004976
#203 – 125 10th Avenue South
Cranbrook, BC V1C 2N1
“Often the hands will solve the mystery that the intellect has struggled with in vain.” –Carl Jung